Thursday, July 15, 2010

Inspiration: Darwyn Cooke

To be honest, I've never been interested in being a comic artist. The task always seemed way too daunting. I think Darwyn Cooke may have cemented in my mind forever that I would never ever be able to do what he does.
I mean... okay I can't even talk about it, I can't really put it into words, but Will brought over a copy of the man with the getaway face and I've just been staring at it completely dumbfounded.
I took a pic of one page that really blew my mind:



Seriously... I can't... really? GOD.

Even the cover is so incredibly SIMPLE but disgustingly gorgeous:



BAAARRRRRFFFF
LOOK AT THIS!!!! (this is from Parker)



I think this may be the most perfect opening page I've ever seen in a comic!

If you don't own anything by Darwyn Cooke, you should correct this immediately.

For Christmas a couple years back I bought Ryan one of his original pages from New Frontiers. Apparently the pages for man with the getaway face are up for grabs, and honestly? I think I might have to drop the 300 bucks, because I am completely in love with the visuals in this comic.

also... his name is Darwyn... like...Charles Darwin my favourite human being who has ever lived.
I need to name my kid some spelling of that name
it apparently is the path to instant awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know, I think Darwin and I think of the monkey from that cartoon with Tim Curry.

    so THIS is the guy you raved about.

    ReplyDelete